3 Steps to a Better Hook: Theme

3 Steps to a Better Hook: Theme

Whether you’re struggling to find your way in the hip-hop world or a skilled rapper looking to elevate your skills even further, coming up with great hooks can be difficult.

Whether you’re struggling to find your way in the hip-hop world or a skilled rapper looking to elevate your skills even further, coming up with great hooks can be difficult. The hook in a typical rap song makes up a whopping 40% of the song, so a bad hook can ruin all of the hard work you put into the remaining 60% of the song. The first part of this three-part series is going to focus on how theme can help you come up with a better hook for your new rap song.

What Are You Rapping About?

Before you get started developing your hook, think about what the general theme of this rap is going to be. A rap could be about anything. Some of the most common themes are: places, emotions, times, lifestyles, actions, events, or politics. If your rap is upbeat and positive but your hook is negative, it won’t sound like the same song. By coming up with a concrete theme for your overall song, you’ll be able to develop a better-quality hook off the bat.

 

It’s also important to think about who you will be rapping to. Is the song aimed at a certain person in your life or public figure? Is the song going to be aimed at your fans, thanking them for their loyalty? Target audience plays a large role in how well your rap accomplishes its goal, so sit and think before you start to write.

Freestyle

Next, write down every thought and emotion that enters you mind when you think about the person or thing you are rapping about. Use a pen and paper or dictate your thoughts into a voice app without rapping them. If you are committed to coming up with the best hooks that you can, carry a small notebook and pen around with you wherever you go so that you never lose a thread of inspiration.

Research

After you have brainstormed, research other artists to see the mechanics behind the themes of their songs. Some raps use deeper lyrics full of metaphors and similes to get the point across. Other rappers are very straightforward and say exactly what they are thinking and feeling.

Get Inspired

Almost every great rap song comes directly from that rapper’s personal experience. When writing the hook for your rap, think about the experiences in your life and what wisdom you can share based on them. The rawness and reality of your rap will come through in your lyrics.

Be Creative

Don’t feel like you are tethered to popular rap topics. Instead, write about whatever inspires you and your audience. The best way to stand out from the crowd is refusing to be a part of it!

En La Calle Records to Get Your Music Out There

Are you interested in taking your music to the next level? Are you looking for a committed and talented group of like-minded people to collaborate with? Submit your tracks to us online and we’ll give them a listen. Check out our music here or search on iTunes for En La Calle Records and you’ll see why we’re different. To see more of what we’re up to and listen to more of our tracks, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

This entry was posted on Friday, July 21st, 2017 at 8:42 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.

Find Us on iTunes

#EnLaCalleRecords

Visit iTunes